Here to Serve You
Patients Rights & Responsibilities
1. Patients and their families have the right to be informed orally and in writing of their rights at the time of admission.
2. Patients have the right to formulate advanced directives.
3. Patients have the right to be treated by the physician of his/her choice, the right to participate in the planning of his/her care, and unrestricted right to communicate with his/her physician and any other persons responsibly for the planning of his/her care.
4. Patients have the right to be fully informed in advance about care and treatment to be provided by R.W.S. Inc. (dba Hosford Shoes and Orthopedic Laboratory, hereafter Hosford Orthopedic Lab).
5. Patients visit his/her doctor at least once annually, maintain a valid prescription order, and cooperate with as necessary to satisfy requirements for payment for the prescribed equipment or service, as well as to inform Hosford Orthopedic Lab of any changes in your prescription.
6. Patients have the right to new equipment and high quality care consistent with professional standards and which is performed by personnel qualified through education and experience to provide the prescribed level of care. Care will be provided based on an assessment of customer needs, in accordance with a written physician’s plan of treatment and professional care plan.
7. Patients have the right to expect the company to have the proper resources to render safe care of the frequency and intensity prescribed. If the company is unable to do so, the patient will be referred elsewhere unless a more suitable provided is not available, in which case the patient will be informed of the company’s limitations and lack of suitable alternate arrangements before care is initiated.
8. Patients and their property have the right to dignity, respect, courtesy, and individualized and humane heath care that is given without reprisal or discrimination as to race, color, creed, sex, national origin, or handicap.
9. Patients have a right to information they can understand in order to give informed consent. They may receive information concerning diagnosis, prognosis, and treatment-including alternatives to care and risks involved, and other information they may request.
10. Patients have the right to know in advance of discontinuation of or changes in services an caregivers and approval of the same, as well as be fully informed in advance of any changes in the care or treatment to be provided by Hosford Orthopedic Lab when those changes may affect your well being.
11. Patients have the right to receive written information on the changes of which they may or may not be liable and the right to know of items and services covered or not covered by Medicare,Medicaid, and their parties of all company services. All such information shall be available verbally and in writing in advance of care being initiated and when their benefit status or liability charges.
12. In case of reduction or termination of services, the patient has the right to receive written notification of such action at least three (3) days prior to any reduction or termination of services. Notification must include the reasons for the denial, reduction of termination, applicable regulations, and procedure to request reconsideration, and the name and telephone numbers of the company staff member to call.
13. Patients have the right to be a participant in decisions regarding their heath care plan and the responsibility to participate to the extent possible, in implementing it.
14. Patients have the right to refuse equipment, supplies, and/or related services and to be informed of the possible heath consequences of this action and such reprisal may be made without fear of reprisal or discrimination The reason must be reported to the treating Physician and documented in the medical record.
15. Patients have the right to coordination and continuity of health care and the right to supervision of homemaker/home health aide care by a nurse or appropriate professional and to supervision of care by a therapy assistant by a qualified therapist..
16. Patients have the right to make appropriate arrangements to allow Hosford Orthopedic Lab to deliver, set-up, and offer proper training on prescribed equipment and footwear.
17. Patients have the right to confidentiality of all records and information and communication, written or verbal, about their health, social or financial circumstances and about what takes place in the patients home, except as provided by law, the patient or their-party payer contracts. If the patient is mentally incompetent, written consent is required from the legal representative. The agency must have policies to govern access and duplication of the patient’s record. The patient has the right to be informed of the HIPAA policy.
18. Patients have the right to request all health records and bills pertaining to them: a.) The right to challenge them, b.) The right to have their records corrected for accuracy, c.) The right to transfer all such records in the case of continuing care with another facility.
19. Patients have the right to be informed of the ownership of the company and may relationship or financial benefit the company may incur as a result of referrals of the patient to other facilities or businesses.
20. The patient has the right to be informed of the availability of an appeal through Medicare or Medicaid review procedures if the decision for denying, reducing or termination services originates with the fiscal intermediary. If the decision for denying, reducing, or termination services is a company decision, then the company must notify the patient of the availability of the appeal procedure.
21. Patients and their families have the right to recommend changes in policies and services to the company, free from restraint, interference, coercion, discrimination, or reprisal.
22. Caregivers may not accept gifts or borrow from the patient.
23. Patient has the right to be free from mental/physical abuse and neglect. Should this right be violated, the agency must notify the Department with five (5) business days, the Tennessee Department of Human Services, and Adult Protective Services immediately.
24. Voice grievance may be addressed to Paula Cox (Compliance Manager) by calling
1-865-688-9495 with expectation that the information will be fully reviewed and acted upon, as necessary. The patients have the right to lodge complaints with the Program Director, the Consumer Protection Division of the Attorney General’s office, the States Home Health Hotline, or with any other person at company without fear of reprisal or discrimination.
25. Not to receive experimental treatment/drugs or participate in research unless you give documented voluntary consent.
1. Patients and their families have the responsibility to carry out the plan of care as instructed, to arrive at the highest possible level of health and level of wellness and independence.
2. Patients and their families have the responsibility to treat company personnel with courtesy without discrimination as to race, color, creed, national origin or handicap.
3. Patients and their families have the responsibility to provide the company with current accurate information regarding heath care needs and reimbursement information essential to provision of services.
4. Patients and their families have the responsibility to participate to the extent possible in decisions regarding the development, implementation, and revision of the health care plan.
5. Patients and their families have the responsibility to utilize and maintain the equipment in accordance with the instructions provided by the company and to ensure that the condition of the equipment will be appropriate to the age and degree of use.
6. Patients and their families have the responsibility for information the company on a timely basis of any dissatisfaction or questions about company services.
7. Patients and their families have the responsibility for providing a written consent for release of information that is essential to provision of reimbursement of services.
8. Patients and their families have the responsibility for prompt payment in accordance with their financial responsibility or for information the company on a timely basis for any difficulty in payment and requesting arrangement of a satisfactory payment schedule.